Sunday 15 January 2012

Homemade butter and Spelt Soda Bread

I fondly recall making butter when I was about 7 at school with Mrs Bolan, if I remember rightly it involved a yoghurt pot and lots of jiggling as we passed the carton round the class, at the end we did get butter. This week Tom and Henry Herbert ( The Fabulous Baker Bros) refreshed my memory on how easy it is to make butter at home. 

Double Cream and my trusty Kitchen aid mixer were all it took to produce so delicious butter and buttermilk for use in the Soda bread. You just mix until the butter forms on the spiral whisk and buttermilk is left in the bowl, you then rinse the butter in clean cold water to remove any buttermilk left in the butter.

Soda bread is equally as simple, I just followed the recipe in this Saturday's Times -Weekend from those fabulous baking bros again, the recipe uses spelt flour. 

Ingredients

  • 300g spelt flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 230ml buttermilk, if you haven't got enough from your buttermaking top up with milk
Preheat your oven to 230c and put your tray into to pre heat

Method
  • Mix all your dry ingredients in a bowl and then add the buttermilk
  • Mix with your hands until you have a sticky dough
  • Turn out onto a floured surface and shape to a round
  • Place on your tray and quickly slash deeply into the classic four
  • Bake for 15 - 20 mins 




4 comments:

Choclette said...

Butter and bread both look delicious and I bet they taste it too. I used to make butter by shaking the top of the milk in a jar when I was young, but other than making it by accident when I over whip cream, I haven't tried it again. Should try this somewhat easier method ;-)

adamwilson said...

I was straight on this too, cheaper than buying butter and buttermilk too. Check out my post last week ad I made The Epic Trencher

. http://fourcolourblack.blogspot.com/2012/01/epic-trencher.html

Elpiniki said...

This looks delicious!
I just found your blog and I loved it!
Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com

Helen at Casa Costello said...

Ooh this looks just what I need! Can you deliver some in the next 10 minutes? ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...