Wednesday 27 July 2011

Favourite Healthy Recipes

In the last week or so I have been trying to eat more healthy, trying to beat the genetics I have been born with, I have both heart disease and diabetes in my family, so I thought it was about time that I started working with recipes that are that little less decadent and more about health and vitality. One of my major inspirations around this is "Sally Bee", she has published a couple of fab recipe books which focus on heart friendly recipes. Sally's story is inspirational after surviving major health problems, her positive attitude is inspirational. Read her story on her website.

One of the best of her recipes is her Chicken risotto parcels, this is awesome, it's so easy and so so very tasty and its low fat, low salt and according to friends very child friendly. It is also easily scaleable. I often get the parcels ready before going to work, I put them in the fridge until I get home and then just pop them in the oven.

Ingredients
( this makes 1 parcel, but scale up as necessary)
  • 1 skinless chicken breast
  • 4 mushrooms - sliced
  • 4 cherry tomatoes
  • 1/4 onion, finely sliced or a couple of spring onions chopped
  • drizzle of olive oil
  • 1/2 cup rice ( easy cook or long grain work well)
  • Roughly 1/3 cup of chicken stock or wine
  • Good squirt of tomato puree, about a tablespoon
  • Dash of Worcestershire sauce
  • sprinkle of chopped herbs, fresh or dried (mixed herbs is fine)
  • finely chopped clove of garlic
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Method
Take a large piece of foil, do double thickness for strength, place all the ingredients in the parcel, folding up to make a tight parcel so nothing leaks. Place on a baking sheet and put into a preheated oven @ 200C and cook for 45 minutes to an hour. All the stock should be absorbed when ready.

You can easily substitute other vegetables such as peppers or courgettes, what ever you have available.

I can't encourage you to try this enough, its awesome, everyone I know who tries it makes it time and time again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...